A Salute to Friends!

"At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in." Mother Teresa

Usually I write a little something about the people I've seen this week and I'll certainly sprinkle a little of that in here but today I'll tell of lesson's I've learned. This has been a trying week. The temperatures have been scorching in Phoenix and tempers rise and patience wanes for staff and clients. I'm choosing to look at this week as a prompt from God to look within and not lose sight that this whole shebang happening here on the Human Services Campus and in the Chaplaincy is not about any one person; it's about whom we serve. Mother Teresa knew this self-truth. I know it too but sometimes self-will brings it all back around to me.

So! A salute to my friends, both staff and clients! James who is in his 60's was able to sleep in a hotel room because the Chaplaincy could make him an ID badge with his picture. He's waiting on his birth certificate from the Department of State so he can get the real thing. James, you make me smile with your glee! Barbara who called from Utah seeking advice and patiently waited for my return call. Barbara, I applaud your tenacity in pushing through the roadblocks! Terry my good friend who came for a toothbrush for her client and listened to me vent for 20 minutes! Terry, you define friendship! Fernando who continues to give back to the homeless community after pulling himself up out of it! Fernando, you are an inspiration to many others and myself! To the nameless 4 clients who visited from area domestic violence shelters for birth certificates for their kids: Ladies, your strength is in your actions and your actions took you out of your situation. You are AMAZING! Michael who spontaneously told me I had a beautiful spirit on a day I felt dark inside. Michael, your kind words lifted my spirit that morning and changed my day! To the lovely ladies who brought a carload of hygiene products and donated supplies after hearing about us and having a 'hygiene drive' at their work; people like you keep us going! We thank you and could not do what we do without you!

Mother Teresa was right. It's not about the stuff we gather around us or the nice things we do to make us feel better about having that stuff; it's about James' smile and Barbara's laugh, and Terry's spirit, and Fernando's compassion, and an abused woman's strength, and the kind hearts filled with the desire to give and the many others who are not mentioned here. Working together the world WILL change.

What a beautiful end to a trying week. Thank you all!

Blessings!

Comments