The Fishbowl


They might not need me;
But they might.
I'll let my head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
precisely their necessity.
~ Emily Dickinson.


The Fishbowl

Any one of you who have visited our office knows we work in a fishbowl. The nature of the Chaplain's office is designed to be open and inviting. Sometimes this is not so good for those of us working franticly in the fishbowl after we are closed, desperately trying to finish never ending paperwork (or weekly e-mail newsletters or blog posts!!). At times my patience wanes. At times I wonder how a person can climb over a chain-link barrier and knock on the door forcibly, despite the lights being off and the closed sign plainly visible. Manners are important to me and I do not think a person should lose all sense of decency just because they lost their home.

At any rate, I was reminded of an important lesson this week. Patience, kindness and understanding; patience should always come first in that equation. After at least 10,000 knocks on the door bearing the "Closed" sign, I looked up exasperated at number 10,001! But my manners prevented me from outright ignoring him so I stood and walked to the door. Joe began like all the others, "Hey, I know you're closed but...." Only this time, what followed immediately changed my heart and attitude for the day, " ....I just wanted to thank you for helping me get an ID last week. I applied for a bunch of jobs and have an interview tomorrow. I really, really appreciate everything you guys do."

An Arizona Identification Card costs $12 dollars. An Arizona Driver's License costs $10-25 dollars. Sometimes our job is that simple. Joe got a $12 check to go to the MVD to get an Arizona ID. Joe gets a job. Joe qualifies for services and housing placement. A mere $12 changes Joe's life. And then Joe comes and changes my day.

Thanks God!! For that super, wonderful attitude changing eye opener!

What can you do this week to change a life? Could it be as simple as a $12 ID?

Maybe.

God bless you in all that you do.

Tracy L Geivett, Chaplain's Assistant
tracygeivett@gmail.com
http://www.azhomeless.org/donation.html

Comments