Sharing your heart....

People are inherently good in my opinion. We all would like the world to be a better place. We all would like to end suffering. We all would like peace and harmony. Imagine if we all put forth just 10% more effort than we do right now. Oh my!! What a difference we could make!!

I am a dirt poor change-the-world kind of gal. I don't have much 'stuff'... much 'money'. But I get to share myself with others. I get to listen as they share bits and pieces of themselves with me. Where else could I sit for 15 minutes with a mentally ill gentleman and while filling out his Ohio birth certificate application listen as he tells me about his sadness at never having met his son. Where else could I hug a woman who is so close to getting an apartment but was thrown a curve ball and must wait 3 more weeks for her birth certificate before she can qualify? Where else can I walk across the lawn and hear my name shouted out happily by a seemingly hardened, tattooed ex-con who is now my smiling dance partner in ball-room dancing class? Where else can I look across the room at a Toastmasters meeting and see a timid, smiling woman get up to speak in front of a room full of people? This place down here is special my friends, the HSC changes people. This place where the Chaplaincy calls home.....

Comments